I continued playing Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II and I finished the intermission and started act 2. Here are my ten takeaways while playing the game (spoilers):
- Fish Burgers: While on the Pantagruel it was interesting that you while learning Crow’s backstory about his grandfather getting framed by the Chancellor, you’re also munching down on some supposedly awesome fish burgers. Just was really surreal to see the characters talking about tartar sauce.
- Pantagruel: Also, while roaming around the Pantagruel, I noticed it was field with tons of furniture, paintings, plants, chandeliers, etc.; basically like an ocean liner in the sky, which made me wonder what exactly is powering this thing? It must use a lot of energy.
- Vulcan: Man was this a bit of an odd interaction when Vulcan says show me what you got, on the battlefield I mean, which made me wonder if he was concerned Rean was going to drop his pants or something.
- Altina: What’s the deal with this game and having preteens talking about sexual innuendos? While on the Pantagruel, Rean comes across a sleeping Altina, who wakes up and thinks he’s up to not so-noble intentions. What kind of 11 or 12 year old thinks that way? It’s just creepy…along with her outfit.
- Vents: The music when crawling in the vents is pretty intense, like something is going to jump out at you while you’re in a first person perspective.
- Duvalie: She is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. Her reactions are so over-the-top and indignant that it is funny. Also, I think her knightly outfit is pretty badass.
- Super Rean: I really enjoyed actually getting to play as super powered Rean for an extended period of time and I’m looking forward to having this mechanic integrated further into the battle system.
- Intermission: Wow, was this a whole lot of talking and story progression and very, very little actual gameplay–like a couple of hours worth. It was crazy. Also, it was disappointing that when everyone arrive on the deck of the ship it doesn’t turn out into an all out brawl.
- Courageous: Being able to control this ship and having it as a base of operation that expands as you recruit more Thors students is pretty exciting and I’m looking forward to see how this turns out. Although I was a little disappointed that initial travel areas that were revealed are all the same areas I’ve already visited in the game. Hopefully the map opens up as the story progresses.
- Orbal Bike: Busting out the orbal bike on the Nord Plains was pretty fun, but seemed weirdly slower than the horse. It could’ve been me though, I was pretty tired at the time.
Early Impressions: 7.5/10.0
Trophies Earned: Aboard the Pantagruel